Thursday, April 10, 2008

THING 17

Trumpeting ELM,
the Electronic Library for MN!

InfoTrac Student Edition
RSS really simple syndication.
HAH! Thanks to the tips from 23
Things people, I figured this one out.
My Mozilla Firefox browser
grabbed the RSS feed search alert
for youth smoking immediately, but
I still had to remove the elm proxy reference
in the address.

I have used my Firefox browser "live bookmark"
feed since THING 3 for a quick path to my blog!
I must say I prefer this browser bookmark to
google reader, but maybe a google start page would
make it just as convenient.

In Steven Abram's 43 THINGS this is listed as #32.
I haven't taken the time to design my own start
page which could lead to customizing our start pages
on our public access library computers. Might this
be helpful? Our little library doesn't have its own
web site, but customizing is do-able.

To get the Search Alert to adhere to the google reader
I also had to remove the proxy (.proxy.elm4you.org)
AND remove an attached space at the end of the web address.

I can't imagine a teen having the tenacity to
go through all that. Now, the browser method
was one slick click on the "html" button provided.

ELM definitely works better with
high speed internet. The instructional
videos linked from 23 THINGS were
problematic on my dial-up at home.

NOTE: Affordable RURAL broadband
and high speed internet access is
needed for kids and adults in rural
areas to keep up economically in
this world!

EBSCO web page composer
exercise downloaded. Not sure
why we did this one. To create
portals on our blog or web site?

ProQuest Sent the web page off to myself
and my boss and made the link above go to it.

NetLibrary
I went in without signing in
and found the 101 ways book. To place
notes on that book one had to sign in.

I signed in with my established user name
and password, and the book was gone.

I went back and found the book again
through the ELM proxy server. When
I went to "notes", I had to sign in and once again
I was restricted.

But I think I get the jist.

No comments: